We are here to improve services across Birmingham for people with Multiple & Complex Needs
Birmingham Changing Futures Together is a project funded by the National Lottery Community Fund to provide better support to those with Multiple & Complex Needs. We are pioneering new ways of working, with services led by those with lived experience, using innovative technology and close partnerships with specialist agencies across the city to provide a faster, better informed and more unified approach to support. We also have a focus on learning and system change to make sure that the new approaches developed through this project become mainstream across all services in Birmingham and have a positive lasting impact on Multiple & Complex Needs support for years to come.
An individual is considered to have Multiple & Complex Needs (also known as Multiple Disadvantages) when they are currently experiencing two or more of the following:
- Mental Health Difficulties
- Substance Misuse
- Risk of Re-offending
It is estimated that 58,000 people in England experience Multiple & Complex per year.
Support for people with Multiple & Complex Needs can often feel fragmented and uncordinated, with organisations who have the specialised knowledge to provide help and support for each area of need working in isolation from each other. This “silo working” can at times hinder access to the right services for those who need it and quickly become frustrating for the Service User, as they explain the same information to multiple services and struggle to navigate a complex system. Combined with a lack of lived experience and understanding of the issues being faced, this can lead to those who need support being treated as someone with many discreet and isolated needs rather than as a whole person.
Here at Changing Futures we want to create a new system to ensure those with Multiple & Complex Needs get the right support when they need it, and are always treated as a whole person. We are driving change to ensure that:
- Services specialising in supporting different needs truly work together – seamlessly and integrated.
- There is earlier identification of Multiple & Complex Needs so that a unified and holistic response happens sooner.
- Information is shared between providers so that service users only need to “tell their story” once.
- Service users, and those with true lived experience, are at the forefront of how services are designed and leading systems change.
We have several teams within the Changing Futures project who work in different ways to develop the changing system we want to build. Click below for more information on:
- No Wrong Door – Bringing together services from across the city to give unified support
- In Reach Out Reach – Staff with lived experience working in the community
- Every Step of the Way – Keeping those with experience at the centre of what we do
- Learning & Evaluation – Detail on our results and what can be learned
Get In Touch
For all general queries on Birmingham Changing Futures Together, contact us with the details listed.